Credits

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Legal Terms and Plain English

Did you know that when you step foot inside a court house our plain English has different meaning? Be very careful when answering questions. If you don't know what they are asking you, just say "no". Never take coaching from your lawyer because they work for the court. Their job is to the court first and second is you.

Fighting for speeding ticket in court. If you don't recognize the police officer who gave a a ticket don't assume it was him who gave you the ticket. Just simply say, "no I don't recognize him". You can not say you knew him because you are not sure. If you are not sure, you are not telling the truth when you say, "yes you recognize him/her. Your lawyer may yell at you for it, but you are telling the truth and don't him ir her change your mind.

Have you heard about the phrase, "the truth will set you free". If you know how to play the game inside a court room, you are more likely to go free and no charges will go against you.

"May I have your name", have different meaning when inside the court room. If you give them your name after that, it means you are giving them the power of attorney to use your name. Very simple, they can speak on your behalf. Be very careful. Now a days, when I call a place and they ask that same question I tell them, "I am not a corporation however, if you want to know my name it is @#$%". They may not know why I said that but hey I am covering my behind here.

Educate yourself about the legal terms in court rooms. "The English language of the court room".

0 comments: